PE and Sport Premium
In April 2013, the Government announced exciting new funding of £150 million for physical education (PE) and sport, to be used to improve the quality and breadth of PE and sport provision in schools. Funding was allocated to all maintained and state-funded schools with primary phase pupils from 1 September 2013. Schools are free to determine how best to use this funding and must ensure that there is 'additional and sustainable improvements' to the PE they offer. They should aim to improve the quality and breadth of PE and sport provision, including increasing participation so that all pupils develop healthy lifestyles and reach the performance levels they are capable of.
Allocation of Sports Premium at Ridgeway
In 2020/21, our school will receive: £17,780
A large chunk of this funding is spent on our affiliation with Derby School Sport Partnership [SSP]. By purchasing the Enhanced Packages, we will be able to access a great range of professional development opportunities for our staff team but also provide our children with greater opportunities to enjoy high quality sport and physical activity experiences! You can click on the reports below to find out more about the support we received from Derby SSP in 2019/20:
Staff Views of PE at Ridgeway
We value the views of staff and use feedback to help develop PE each year. Here are some of their thoughts:
- There have been some great outside agencies supporting PE this year such as Derby SSP coaches, Yogabugs and Cycle Derby. The children have really enjoyed their sessions and have developed core skills such as balance and co-ordination
- I feel PE has been well developed this year with outside organisations involved often with staff to support the teaching. The large equipment has been made more use of this year following training too
- The physical opportunities we give to the children are good outside and it has been nice to see children attempting new challenges
Children’s Views of PE at Ridgeway
We love to ask the children about their views of PE and we try really hard to implement their ideas and suggestions. Here are some of their views:
- I really love PE and running. My favourite is racing on the field. We now include a 3 minute run at the start of each PE lesson.
- I want more toys to play with at playtime. We have used the vouchers from the Sainsbury's Stay Active campaign in previous years to purchase new playtime toys.